Yevgeny Prigozhin: Wagner boss says activities to continue in Africa

The head of the Wagner mercenary group, Yevgeny Prigozhin, says they will continue to fight in African countries where they are already present.

Ever since Mr Prigozhin mounted a failed mutiny in Russia last month and was banished to Belarus, there have been questions over Wagner’s future.

- Advertisement -

“There was no, and there will be no, reduction in our programmes in Africa,” Mr Prigozhin told Afrique Média TV.

BBC Verify has analysed the audio and confirms it is Mr Prigozhin’s voice.

He did not appear on camera during the interview with Afrique Média, which is a pro-Kremlin news channel that targets French-speaking African countries and has been linked to the Wagner group.

- Advertisement -

Mr Prigozhin’s soldiers are embedded in countries including Mali and the Central African Republic (CAR) – where rights groups and the UN accuse them of committing war crimes.

Wagner fighters are also accused by the US of enriching themselves with illicit gold deals on the continent.

But Mr Prigozhin insists their work is of a different nature.

“We continue to work in all the countries where we started or are now doing this work of cooperation and development,” he told Afrique Média TV.

- Advertisement -

“If the assistance of the Wagner Group is needed anywhere to combat gangs and terrorists and to protect the interests of the people of these countries, we are ready to begin immediately to fulfil this task after agreeing on the conditions.”

The Wagner boss’ comments echo those of Russia’s foreign minister, who has said that despite recent events, Wagner and Russia were in Africa to stay.

CAR's president on the campaign trail in December with suspected Wagner bodyguardsImage source, Getty Images
Image caption,

CAR’s president was pictured on the campaign trail in December with suspected Wagner bodyguards
- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Nana Yirenkyi I dismisses reports of Sammi Awuku’s arrest by EOCO

The Mampong Akuapem Apesemakahene, Nana Yirenkyi I, has dismissed...

Ho Teaching Hospital Appeals for Support for 500-Bed Expansion

The Governing Board of the Ho Teaching Hospital (HTH)...

Paul Yandoh loses Ashanti NPP Secretary race despite cross-party backing

Paul Yandoh has placed third in the New Patriotic...

At least 11 dead, 13 injured in multiple-vehicle crash on Ofankor-Pokuase stretch

At least 11 people have been killed and 13...

Your day of reckoning is coming — Afenyo-Markin warns GoldBod CEO Sammy Gyamfi

Minority Leader Osahen Alexander Afenyo-Markin has warned Ghana Gold...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles