South Africa’s ambassador to France found dead outside Paris hotel

The South African Ambassador to France, Nkosinathi Emmanuel Mthethwa, was found dead outside a high-rise hotel in Paris on Tuesday, according to local authorities.

The Paris prosecutor’s office has launched an investigation into the death of the 58-year-old Nkosinathi Emmanuel Mthethwa near the 22nd floor of the Hyatt Regency hotel.

- Advertisement -

The 58-year-old was reported missing by his wife on Monday after she received a worrying text message from him, according to prosecutors.

Mthethwa had booked a room on the 22nd floor of the Hyatt Regency hotel, and the secure window had been forced open, the prosecutor’s office said.

While Nkosinathi Emmanuel Mthethwa was reported missing yesterday, his corpse was discovered earlier today at the Paris Hyatt Hotel.

- Advertisement -

According to the prosecutor’s office in Paris, the 58-year-old’s wife reported him missing after indicating that she “received a worrying message from him in the evening,” The Mirror reported. However, he was later found dead just above the Hayat Hotel. “He had booked a room on the 22nd floor, whose secure window was forced open.”

Police dispatched canine brigade canines to the Bois de Boulogne, a Parisian park and botanical garden where Mthethwa’s phone last rang, but the dogs failed to find him. The Paris Prosecutor’s office stated that the police, with the assistance of the dog squad, “had searched the woods in western Paris in fear of a potential suicide.”

Who was Nathi Mthethwa? A look at his career

Mthethwa served as South Africa’s permanent representative to UNESCO before being sent to the French Embassy in February 2024. Prior to serving as the Minister of Sport, Arts, and Culture from 2019 to 2023, he was the Minister of Arts and Culture of the Republic of South Africa from May 2014 to 2019.

- Advertisement -

Mthethwa was a member of the African National Congress’s (ANC) National Executive Committee (NEC) from 2007 to 2022. The NEC is the party’s top executive body and highest decision-making body between conferences. He was a member of the governing party of South Africa’s National Working Committee (NWC) at the time, which is in charge of managing the party daily and submitting suggestions to the NEC.

The South African government issued a statement later on Tuesday mourning the “untimely passing” of Mthethwa in France.

Government statement

The Government of the Republic of South Africa announces with deep sorrow and profound regret the untimely passing of His Excellency Ambassador Nkosinathi Emmanuel Mthethwa, South Africa’s Ambassador to the French Republic.

Ambassador Mthethwa was a distinguished servant of the nation, whose career was marked by dedicated service in critical ministerial portfolios, including Minister of Police and Minister of Sports, Arts and Culture. He also served on the Board of Directors for the 2010 FIFA World Cup Local Organising Committee. His lifelong commitment to public duty was further exemplified by his longstanding contribution to the African National Congress through its highest decision-making structures.

In his diplomatic role, to which he was appointed in December 2023, Ambassador Mthethwa was tasked with strengthening the vital partnership and bilateral ties between South Africa and France.

“I have no doubt that his passing is not only a national loss but is also felt within the international diplomatic community,” said Minister Lamola.

The circumstances of his untimely death are under investigation by the French authorities. The Government of South Africa extends its deepest and most sincere condolences to the family of Ambassador Mthethwa, and to his friends and colleagues during this period of immense grief. He is survived by his wife and children.

We honour his legacy of unwavering patriotism and service to our nation.

Graphic Online

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Jason Arday: Former Cambridge professor at centre of plagiarism row and social media abuse found dead

Jason Arday, the former University of Cambridge professor, has...

Makafui Woanyah Retains NPP Volta Chairmanship in Closely Fought Regional Elections

Makafui Kofi Woanyah has retained the New Patriotic Party...

Nana Yirenkyi I dismisses reports of Sammi Awuku’s arrest by EOCO

The Mampong Akuapem Apesemakahene, Nana Yirenkyi I, has dismissed...

President Mahama inspects science lab project at UTAS

On the first day of his two-day #ResettingGhana Tour...

President Mahama inaugurates Paga SHS E-Block; pledges to complete stalled projects

President John Dramani Mahama has inaugurated the abandoned E-Block...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles