Spurs ‘not for sale’ as owner rejects buyout interest

The board of Tottenham Hotspur says its owner has “unequivocally rejected” two expressions of interest in the north London football club and that it is “not for sale”.

The announcement late on Sunday came after the sudden departure of executive chairman Daniel Levy last week triggered speculation that a takeover bid could be imminent.

- Advertisement -

Mr Levy was the Premier League’s longest-serving chairman and is estimated to have earned more than £50m ($67.5m) during his almost quarter of a century in the role.

But he was also the target of regular protests by Spurs fans, especially last season.

The statement said ENIC Sports & Developments Holdings Ltd had rejected two separate preliminary expressions of interest in the club.

- Advertisement -

One was from former Newcastle United shareholder Amanda Staveley’s PCP International Finance Limited, and another from a consortium led by Dr Roger Kennedy and Wing-Fai Ng through Firehawk Holdings Limited, it said.

“The Board of the Club and ENIC confirm that Tottenham Hotspur is not for sale and ENIC has no intention to accept any such offer to acquire its interest in the Club,” the statement said.

ENIC has an almost 87% stake in Tottenham Hotspur.

UK businessman Joe Lewis and his family reportedly own the majority of ENIC, while about 30% is held by Mr Levy and his family.

- Advertisement -

In a statement last week, Spurs said Mr Levy’s exit was “part of the Club’s ambition to ensure that it is set up to deliver long-term sporting success.”

At the same time, Mr Levy said: “I am incredibly proud of the work I have done together with the executive team and all our employees. We have built this club into a global heavyweight competing at the highest level.”

“I wish to thank all the fans who have supported me over the years. It hasn’t always been an easy journey, but significant progress has been made. I will continue to support this club passionately,” he added.

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Nana Yirenkyi I dismisses reports of Sammi Awuku’s arrest by EOCO

The Mampong Akuapem Apesemakahene, Nana Yirenkyi I, has dismissed...

‘GoldBod is a very big scandal awaiting us’ – Afenyo-Markin

Minority Leader Alexander Afenyo-Markin has warned that the operations...

Driver busted with cocaine at Accra International Airport

The Narcotics Control Commission (NACOC) has intercepted a significant...

Government pays GH¢10.8 billion DDEP coupon on time, in full and in cash

The Ministry of Finance has announced the payment of...

Sammy Gyamfi dismisses $1.7bn GoldBod loss claim as ‘barefaced lie’

The Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Gold Board...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles