Morocco earthquake: At least 820 killed as buildings damaged

A strong earthquake of magnitude 6.8 has struck central Morocco, killing at least 632 people, the country’s interior ministry says.

The epicentre was in the High Atlas Mountains, 71km (44 miles) southwest of Marrakesh, at a depth of 18.5km, the US Geological Survey said.

- Advertisement -

The quake struck at 23:11 local time (22:11 GMT) on Friday. There was a 4.9 aftershock 19 minutes later.

People died in Marrakesh and several areas to the south, the ministry said.

Many of the victims are believed to be in remote areas.

- Advertisement -

The interior ministry said the earthquake killed people in the provinces and municipalities of al-Haouz, Marrakesh, Ouarzazate, Azilal, Chichaoua and Taroudant, adding that at least 329 people have been injured.

Many people spent the night out in the open as the Moroccan government had warned them not to go back into their homes in case of severe aftershocks.

Hospitals in Marrakesh have seen an influx of injured people, and the authorities have called on residents to donate blood.

There are also reports of families trapped under the rubble of their homes in the city, and damage to parts of the Medina, a Unesco World Heritage Site.

- Advertisement -

Some buildings collapsed, one resident told the Reuters news agency. Several clips on X show buildings crashing down, but the BBC has not identified where they were.

Dust could also be seen surrounding the minaret of the historic Kutubiyya mosque in Marrakesh, a major tourist attraction near the old city’s main square.

One man described feeling a “violent tremor” and seeing “buildings moving”.

“People were all in shock and panic. The children were crying and the parents were distraught,” Abdelhak El Amrani told the AFP agency.

He said power and phone lines were down for 10 minutes.

Marrakesh resident Fayssal Badour had been driving when the quake hit.

“I stopped and realised what a disaster it was,” he told AFP. “The screaming and crying was unbearable.”

Damage at an old mosque in the historic city of Marrakesh, following a powerful quake in Morocco on 9 September 2023Image source, Reuters
Image caption,

Damage at an old mosque in Marrakesh
People work next to damaged building in Marrakesh following the earthquakeImage source, Reuters
Image caption,

People work next to a damaged building in Marrakesh on Saturday morning following the earthquake
People sitting on roundabout in Casablanca at night, 9 Sep 23Image source, Reuters
Image caption,

Alarmed Casablanca residents fled their homes and camped overnight in the streets
Civil protection members search for survivors near rubble in ChichaouaImage source, Reuters
Image caption,

Civil protection members search for survivors in Chichaoua

The quake’s epicentre in a remote area of the High Atlas Mountains was relatively shallow – and tremors were also reportedly felt in the capital Rabat, some 350km away, as well as Casablanca and Essaouira.

Simple buildings in mountain villages near the epicentre may not have survived and, being remote, it may take some time to determine casualties there.

British journalist Martin Jay, who lives in Morocco, was woken by the sound of screams.

He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme there was “this weird evening of almost every single town in Morocco, most people are sitting on the ground outside of their houses or apartment blocks because they were afraid of the second earthquake which they predicted would come two hours later. Thank God it didn’t”.

The quake was also felt in neighbouring Algeria, but officials said it had not caused any damage or casualties.

Speaking at the G20 summit in Delhi, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the international community would come to Morocco’s aid.

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez offered “solidarity and support to the people of Morocco”. French President Emmanuel Macron said he was “devastated” by the news and offered assistance to Morocco.

Map of Morocco showing epicentre of earthquake
Source: BBC
- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

President Mahama inspects science lab project at UTAS

On the first day of his two-day #ResettingGhana Tour...

Ghana’s special envoy for reparations pays courtesy call on Ghana mission in the Hague

Ghana’s Presidential Special Envoy for Reparations, Ambassador Ekwow Spio-Garbrah,...

Russia-Ukraine war: 62 Ghanaians killed, 15 missing – Ablakwa

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, has revealed...

Ho Teaching Hospital Appeals for Support for 500-Bed Expansion

The Governing Board of the Ho Teaching Hospital (HTH)...

Major fault on Akosombo-Volta transmission line triggers nationwide power outage

The Ghana Grid Company Limited (GRIDCo) has announced a...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles