Ato Forson Trial: Chief of Defence Staff Denies Receiving Request to Release Jakpa’s Dismissal Letter

The Chief of Defence Staff, Lieutenant General Thomas Oppong-Peprah, has denied releasing the dismissal letter of Richard Jakpa, the third accused in the ongoing ambulance trial, to the Minister of Defence, Dominic Nitiwul.

According to him, no request for the letter had come to his desk, making it impossible for him to explain how the minister obtained the document.

- Advertisement -

This came up during today, Monday, July 29, 2024 court session. During the cross-examination by Jakpa’s lawyer, the CDS reiterated that he had not released the letter to the Minister of Defence.

“My lady, as the Chief of Defence Staff, I have never received any request to release any document to anybody. So I can’t answer to that,” he said.

It will be recalled that the Deputy Attorney-General, Alfred Tuah-Yeboah, while cross-examining Jakpa on Thursday, June 27, 2024, tendered into evidence a letter purportedly written to dismiss Jakpa from the Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) in 2007.

- Advertisement -

According to Tuah-Yeboah, the letter originated from the office of the defence minister and included allegations of misconduct and breaches of military protocols, leading to Jakpa’s dismissal.

Jakpa’s lawyers objected to the tendering of the letter, questioning its relevance. However, the presiding judge, Justice Afia Serwah Asare-Botwe, admitted the document into evidence, noting that the witness had already acknowledged the document and could speak to it. She added that the cover letters were official documents and were admissible to establish credibility or otherwise.

By: Ekow Annan/newsalertgh.com

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Jinijini-Sampa road project on track for early completion — Roads Minister assures

The Minister for Roads and Highways, Kwame Governs Agbodza,...

Namibia Eyes Partnership with Ho Teaching Hospital Over Wellness Tourism Initiative

The High Commissioner of the Republic of Namibia to...

Nana Owusu Agyemang writes: Human rights and the preservation of human dignity

LOOKING AT HUMAN RIGHTS The universal, inalienable, and inherent rights...

Accra to experience 15-hour power outage in some areas on Sunday as GRIDCo repairs damaged pylon

Some parts of the Greater Accra Region will experience...

Makafui Woanyah Retains NPP Volta Chairmanship in Closely Fought Regional Elections

Makafui Kofi Woanyah has retained the New Patriotic Party...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles