Ange Postecoglou: Spurs boss says possible introduction of blue cards and sin-bins would ‘destroy’ the game

Tottenham boss Ange Postecoglou says the possible introduction of blue cards and sin-bins would “destroy” the game.

Football’s lawmakers Ifab delayed plans to release information about four proposed trials after talks with world governing body Fifa.

- Advertisement -

Under the plans, players would get blue cards for dissent and tactical fouls and spend 10 minutes off the pitch.

“Adding another [card] one. What is that going to do? The remedy is already there,” said Postecoglou.

“If it’s not being enforced to the level people are satisfied, do that. That’s the change. One team being down to 10 men for 10 minutes, you know what that is going to do to our game? It’s going to destroy it.

- Advertisement -

“You’ll have one team sitting there trying to waste time for 10 minutes waiting for someone to come back on. Every other game is trying to speed up and declutter, all we are trying to do is go the other way for some bizarre reason.”

If passed into the laws of the game, the introduction of a blue card would mark the biggest single change in managing player discipline since red and yellow cards came into force at the 1970 World Cup.

However, the Australian’s forthright views on the topic were also echoed by Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp, with the proposals seemingly getting little traction among Premier League managers.

“It doesn’t sound like a fantastic idea in the first moment. But actually, I can’t remember when the last fantastic idea came from these guys [Ifab] – if they ever had one,” Klopp said.

- Advertisement -

Meanwhile, Newcastle boss Eddie Howe, added: “I’m not a big fan, to be honest. I think that’s what yellow cards are for. I think the current system works well, it’s just got to be applied right.

“Adding a blue card would just add more confusion, in my opinion. I’m against it. I think [sin-bins] would change it a lot, but again not, for me, in a good way because I think it will make it very bitty, more stop-start.”

Speaking earlier, Postecoglou also questioned the motivation to introduce new rules: “I struggle to understand why there is this urgency all of a sudden to bring in new things. I don’t know if there’s much wrong with the game as I see it and why a different colour card will make any difference.”

Fifa responded to multiple stories on Thursday, some of which raised the potential for the trials to involve elite football, with a public statement urging caution.

It is understood the four trials will remain following further consideration initiated by Fifa, but it has now been decided there will be no confirmation of the precise details until a media conference immediately after Ifab’s annual meeting at Loch Lomond on 2 March to allow for “further exchange”.

Fifa has four of the eight seats at Ifab, with the other four belonging to the home nations.

President Gianni Infantino has previously attended Ifab annual meetings. If he does not attend, another senior official from the organisation will be present.

Sin-bins have been used at the grassroots level for dissent but their use could be extended to cynical fouls as part of a trial.

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Jinijini-Sampa road project on track for early completion — Roads Minister assures

The Minister for Roads and Highways, Kwame Governs Agbodza,...

Powerful BDCs lobby NPA to build regional depots in bid to neutralize BOST Energies

Radiant Media and Intelligence Hub has gathered that a...

Jason Arday: Former Cambridge professor at centre of plagiarism row and social media abuse found dead

Jason Arday, the former University of Cambridge professor, has...

NPP regional polls: Sorting, counting underway after largely peaceful voting

Sorting and counting of ballots are underway across several...

Sammy Gyamfi dismisses $1.7bn GoldBod loss claim as ‘barefaced lie’

The Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Gold Board...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles