Sam George Announces Ghana–Burkina Faso Free Roaming Agreement to Reduce Call Charges for Travellers

Ghana and Burkina Faso have finalised a new free roaming agreement that will significantly reduce call costs for travellers moving between the two countries.

The agreement, signed last week by telecom regulators from both countries, was concluded during a joint engagement between Ghana’s Minister of Communication, Digital Technology and Innovations, Samuel Nartey George and Burkina Faso’s Minister for Digital Transitions, Dr Aminata Zerbo.

- Advertisement -

Under the new arrangement, Ghanaians who visit Burkina Faso will receive calls from Ghana at no charge and will make calls to Ghana at standard local Burkinabe rates. Burkinabé travellers to Ghana will enjoy the same benefits, eliminating the high roaming charges that have long affected cross-border communication.

As part of the bilateral cooperation, the two countries also signed a border spectrum management agreement aimed at resolving cross-border network interference, a persistent challenge for residents living in border communities.

Sam George explained that the new agreement builds on earlier free roaming and digital cooperation frameworks Ghana has already established with Togo, Côte d’Ivoire, Benin and The Gambia. He said these partnerships are essential to supporting Ghanaian traders, business travellers and citizens who frequently move across the sub-region.

- Advertisement -

He also commended the National Communications Authority (NCA) for its role in negotiating and finalising the agreements, describing the development as another major step toward seamless regional connectivity and digital integration.

By: Ekow Annan/newsalertgh.com

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Ghana’s special envoy for reparations pays courtesy call on Ghana mission in the Hague

Ghana’s Presidential Special Envoy for Reparations, Ambassador Ekwow Spio-Garbrah,...

Sammy Gyamfi dismisses $1.7bn GoldBod loss claim as ‘barefaced lie’

The Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Gold Board...

Jinijini-Sampa road project on track for early completion — Roads Minister assures

The Minister for Roads and Highways, Kwame Governs Agbodza,...

Stephen Kwabena Boateng: Kumasi-based businessman and founder of Kessben Group of Companies dies at 68

Kumasi-based businessman and founder of the Kessben Group of...

NPP regional polls: Sorting, counting underway after largely peaceful voting

Sorting and counting of ballots are underway across several...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles