No mercy for recalcitrant drivers this Easter – NRSA declares

David Osafo Adonteng, Acting Director-General of the National Road Safety Authority (NRSA), says any act of reckless driving will not be condoned this Easter.

He said road users, including high-profile persons and celebrities who would breach the law, would be made to face the full rigours of the law.

- Advertisement -

He issued the warning at the launch of the “Stop Speeding” campaign which took place at the NSRA headquarters in Accra on Friday, March 22.

The “Stop Speeding” campaign is a mass media campaign organized to sensitize drivers on the need to follow speed limits to save lives in the upcoming Easter celebration.

It is being implemented by the NSRA in partnership with the Accra Metropolitan Assembly and Bloomberg Philanthropies Initiatives.

- Advertisement -

“Any individual who flouts the traffic regulations will be apprehended by the Police in whichever capacity you find yourself, and we will take you through the rigorous of the law.

“I therefore want to warn that, considering the crashes and the injuries that we are recording, there will be no mercy at all,” Mr Adonten said.

Explaining why the NSRA and its partners are issuing such warnings to the public to abide by road traffic regulations, Mr Adonteng stated that though the year was young, available statistics show an increase in some road accident indicators.

He said that in just two months, the country had recorded 2,260 accidents, involving 3,910 vehicles, 369 fatalities, 2,552 injuries, and 381 pedestrian knockdowns, an increase in what was recorded in the same months in the year 2023.

- Advertisement -

He said that in January and February 2023, the total number of road accidents recorded was 2,249, the number of vehicles involved, was 3,857, persons killed, 330, persons injured 2,502, and pedestrian knockdowns, 382.

“This shows an increase of 0.49% for crashes, 1.37% for vehicles involved and 2.0% for persons injured. Notably, persons killed increased by 11.82% as compared to the first two months in 2023.” Mr Adonteng said.

He said if action and intense monitoring were not done the number could increase further during the Easter holidays because there would be a surge in motorization, leading to heightened traffic congestion and increased road safety risks due to the numerous religious conventions and merrymaking.

He said that last year, some road users, both private and commercial cars, including high-profile personalities and celebrities were apprehended or warned.

However, Mr Adonteng said there would be no such warnings this year, hence advised road users to tread cautiously.

Chief Supt. Alexander Obeng, Director of Research and Education, Motor Transport and Traffic Directorate, said that the Police would also deploy men across the country to ensure that people complied with traffic rules.

He, however, noted that there would be more Police presence at places where the Easter festivities would be massively celebrated, for instance, Kwahu in the Eastern Region, than other places.

He assured Ghanaians of Police protection but also advised that people should be measured in their celebration.

GNA

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

President Mahama inspects science lab project at UTAS

On the first day of his two-day #ResettingGhana Tour...

NPP regional polls: Sorting, counting underway after largely peaceful voting

Sorting and counting of ballots are underway across several...

Europe-based reparations organisations honour Ghana’s presidential special envoy

Ghana’s Presidential Special Envoy for Reparations, Ambassador Ekwow Spio-Garbrah,...

Okoe-Boye secures landslide victory in Greater Accra NPP chairmanship race

Former Ledzokuku MP, Dr Bernard Okoe-Boye, has secured a...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles