Minority MPs to boycott parliamentary business on Gyakye Quayson’s trial days

The Minority in Parliament has served notice of its intention to boycott parliamentary business on days when the newly elected Member of Parliament for Assin North, James Gyakye Quayson will appear in court.

The NDC MPs in a show of solidarity have taken a stance to abstain from Parliament when Gyakye Quayson appears in court for his ongoing criminal case.

- Advertisement -

This comes after Mr Quayson was sworn in as an MP for Assin North on Tuesday, July 4, 2023.

Welcoming the MP back to the House after he was removed by the Supreme Court last month, the Minority Leader, Dr Cassiel Ato Forson, announced that the entire caucus will accompany Mr Quayson to court and refrain from engaging in the business of the House on those specific days.

This decision aims to protest what the Minority perceives as persistent persecution against Mr Quayson.

- Advertisement -

“We wish to serve notice that the entire Minority will accompany our colleague today and any other days that he is to appear in court. We are solidarising with our colleague and we will not participate in the business of the House anytime our colleague is in court and we will be withdrawing from the Chamber after this ceremony if the court processes happen today.”

Touching on the victory of Mr Quayson in last week’s by-election, the Ajumako-Enyan-Esiam MP said the win sends a powerful message to all politicians, asserting that Ghanaians cannot be swayed by monetary inducements for votes.

“The people of Assin North have sent a clear message to all politicians and the government of the day especially, that they cannot be lured with money, not be intimidated by threats and it is the same message that Ghanaians are sending to us that in the year 2024, they will exercise their franchise based on their conscience and no amount of threats will dissuade them from voting out the administration that we are witnessing.”

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Driver busted with cocaine at Accra International Airport

The Narcotics Control Commission (NACOC) has intercepted a significant...

Ho Teaching Hospital Appeals for Support for 500-Bed Expansion

The Governing Board of the Ho Teaching Hospital (HTH)...

Police foil broad daylight robbery attempt at Labone GCB Bank; two suspects shot dead, one arrested

The Ghana Police Service has foiled a broad daylight...

President Mahama inaugurates Paga SHS E-Block; pledges to complete stalled projects

President John Dramani Mahama has inaugurated the abandoned E-Block...

Dr Cassiel Ato Forson: Finance Minister officially hands over Defence Ministry to Kenneth Gilbert Adjei

Finance Minister Dr Cassiel Ato Forson has formally handed...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles