Mali: At least 49 civilians reported dead in attack on river boat

Islamist militants have attacked a river boat in north-eastern Mali, killing at least 49 civilians, the interim government says.

They also reportedly attacked an army camp, killing 15 soldiers, while around 50 militants are said to have died.

- Advertisement -

The government has declared three days of national mourning.

The Islamist threat has been growing despite claims by the military that Russian Wagner Group mercenaries are turning the tide of their campaign.

The northern city of Timbuktu has been under blockade since the end of last month and there have been several other recent attacks on transport.

- Advertisement -

The BBC could not independently verify the government’s latest report, which was read out on national TV.

Militants reportedly attacked the boat as it was traveling on the River Niger from the town of Gao to Mopti. Militants also attacked an army camp in the Bourem Circle in the Gao region.

The Malian army said on social media that the boat had been attacked around 1100 GMT by “armed terrorist groups”.

The boat operator, Comanav, told AFP news agency the vessel had been targeted by at least three rockets aimed at its engines.

- Advertisement -

The vessel was immobilised on the river and the army went in to evacuate passengers, said a Comanav official, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Map

Mali has been ruled by a military junta since 2020.

There was huge popular support for the junta when it seized power after mass protests against then-President Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta. People had been angered by economic uncertainty, a disputed election and chronic insecurity.

Since then, data suggests Mali’s military government has made little progress in its fightback against Islamists who control parts of the country.

An insurgency with links to al-Qaeda and Islamic State took root in the north of Mali in 2012. Islamist militants have since gained ground, spreading across the Sahel region to coastal West African nations.

Source: BBC

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Ho Assembly Destroys Expired Drinks, Food Products

The Ho Municipal Assembly has destroyed hundreds of cartons...

Manhyia Palace imposes immediate ban on unauthorised drone flights

Manhyia Palace has placed an immediate ban on all...

“Your bail conditions will be scary” – Afenyo-Markin warns Sammy Gyamfi, GoldBod executives

The Minority Leader, Osahen Alexander Kwamena Afenyo-Markin, has warned...

Powerful BDCs lobby NPA to build regional depots in bid to neutralize BOST Energies

Radiant Media and Intelligence Hub has gathered that a...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles