179 Dead in South Korea’s Worst Plane Crash in Years

On Sunday, a passenger jet crash-landed in South Korea, killing 179 people. The plane, carrying 181 passengers, landed on its belly at Muan International Airport, veered off the runway, and burst into flames. Rescuers pulled only two survivors, both of their crew, from the smouldering wreckage. This is now the deadliest air crash in South Korea in over 20 years.

Possible Cause of the Crash
Local fire officials and aviation experts have said a malfunction in the landing gear may have been the reason for the crash. The pilot had issued a mayday call shortly after being warned by the control tower about birds in the vicinity. However, it could take several years to determine the cause of the incident, as experts said, and warned against speculations. Authorities have asked that officials not jump to premature conclusions even as families of victims demanded answers.

- Advertisement -

A Boeing 737-800 en route from Bangkok, Thailand. Considering some of the recent tragedies associated with Boeing’s line of 737 Max, analysts say it is essential to note that the 737-800 plane is a reliable, safe aeroplane. Jeju Air, too, is considered an airline that has a fairly good record over the years as South Korea’s largest operator of low-cost carriers.

A video witnessed the footage of the crash and showed the high-speed skidding of the plane before hitting an embankment and bursting into flames. Further, there were disturbing visuals of neither the front nor rear landing gear visible, and smoke pouring from the rear of the aircraft.

The chief of the fire department, Lee Jeong-hyun, presumed that the cause was either a bird strike or poor weather conditions. US federal authorities, including the National Transportation Safety Board, will support the investigation.

- Advertisement -

Key Evidence Recovered
Recorders storing information on flight data and conversations in the cockpit were also recovered. These will now help investigators piece together what really happened before the crash.

Grief at Muan Airport
Scenes of anguish and despair were unfolded at Muan International Airport, where the relatives were waiting anxiously for information about the outcome. A number of relatives fainted as the list of names of victims was read out loudly. One bereaved father, whose daughter was on her way back from Thailand after visiting her family in South Korea, showed his pain: “I never thought this would be the last time we saw each other forever.”

Another father, 71-year-old Jeon Je-Young, said he cannot believe his daughter did not call before the tragedy.

Political Context
This tragedy has happened amid political turmoil in South Korea, with the country embroiled in one of its worst leadership crises. Acting President Choi Sang-mok, who took office only days earlier, visited Muan International Airport on Sunday to show support for the families of the victims and monitor the disaster response.

- Advertisement -

Following the Muan International Airport plane crash tragedy, the acting President of South Korea, Choi Sang-mok, declared a week of national mourning starting from Sunday to January 4. This declaration is in regard to the killing of 179 people. Besides this mourning period, Choi announced that 17 memorial altars would be established across the country to mourn the victims.

The national call for unity is a dramatic moment of inter-Korean conciliation at one of the most tumultuous moments in South Korean political history. Just two days before the crash, the nation’s parliament voted to impeach Prime Minister and acting President Han Duck-soo. This political crisis in the wake of President Yoon Suk Yeol’s loss of powers earlier this month, after a controversial short-lived declaration of martial law, has set off new shockwaves.

The youngest passenger aboard the Jeju Air flight that crash-landed on Sunday at Muan International Airport was a three-year-old child, while the oldest was a 78-year-old, according to the fire service, which referenced the passenger manifest.

According to the report from the fire service, 177 people died in the devastating crash, while two out of 181 passengers are still missing. The survivors included two crew members, one male and one female, currently in the hospital for treatment.

A week of mourning has been declared in the Jeolla province in South Korea, as the official announced at a provincial briefing on Sunday, dedicated to the victims of this terrible crash.

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Atewa Matters Campaign Unveils Banner On Spintex Road To Push For National Park Status

The Atewa Matters Campaign, supported by Nature’s Heartbeat, has...

Ho Assembly Destroys Expired Drinks, Food Products

The Ho Municipal Assembly has destroyed hundreds of cartons...

Work resumes on 118km Bolgatanga-Bawku-Pulmakom road as govt assures prompt payments

President John Dramani Mahama has commended Brazilian construction firm...

Driver busted with cocaine at Accra International Airport

The Narcotics Control Commission (NACOC) has intercepted a significant...

Two security men of Bolga Girls SHS arrested over alleged defilement of special needs student

The Upper East Regional Police Command has arrested two...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles