More than 60 migrants feared drowned off Libya, IOM says

More than 60 migrants are believed to have drowned in a shipwreck off the coast of Libya, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said.

Citing survivors, the UN agency said on Saturday the vessel left the city of Zuwara with around 86 people on board.

- Advertisement -

It said high waves swamped the boat and that 61 migrants, including children, were missing and presumed dead.

Libya is among the main departure points for migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean and enter Europe.

The IOM estimates that more than 2,200 people have drowned while attempting the crossing this year alone, making it one of the most dangerous migration routes in the world.

- Advertisement -

The agency said most of the victims of the latest incident were from Nigeria, Gambia, and other African countries, the AFP news agency reports.

It also said 25 survivors had been transferred to a Libyan detention centre and were being given medical support.

Writing on X, formerly Twitter, an IOM spokesperson called the death toll for this year a “dramatic number which unfortunately demonstrates that not enough is being done to save lives at sea”.

In June, at least 78 people died and another 100 were rescued after a fishing boat sank off southern Greece.

- Advertisement -

The Mediterranean crossings frequently see scores of migrants crowded onto boats too small to safely hold them.

Those making the trip are typically hoping to land in Italy before making their way to other countries in Europe, some escaping conflict or persecution, others in search of work.

More than 153,000 migrants have arrived in Italy this year from Tunisia and Libya, according to the UN’s refugee agency.

On Saturday, UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak had talks in Rome with his Italian counterpart Giorgia Meloni and Albania’s PM Edi Rama on how to reduce illegal migration to Europe.

At the start of this year, Mr Sunak made stopping small boat crossings in the English Channel one of the five key priorities of his government.

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Government pays GH¢10.8 billion DDEP coupon on time, in full and in cash

The Ministry of Finance has announced the payment of...

“Your bail conditions will be scary” – Afenyo-Markin warns Sammy Gyamfi, GoldBod executives

The Minority Leader, Osahen Alexander Kwamena Afenyo-Markin, has warned...

Agri-Impact Supports Apeguso Schools With Sickbay, ICT Centre

Agri-Impact Group Limited, an agribusiness firm with extensive experience...

Paul Yandoh loses Ashanti NPP Secretary race despite cross-party backing

Paul Yandoh has placed third in the New Patriotic...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles