Gyakye Quayson trial: Supreme Court decision scandalous” – Justice Atuguba

A former justice of the Supreme Court of Ghana, Justice William Atuguba, has raised critical concerns about the Supreme Court’s decision in the Gyakye Quayson case, describing it as “scandalous.” Justice Atuguba expressed these sentiments while delivering a lecture on Tuesday, October 24, 2024.

In his lecture, Justice Atuguba highlighted what he viewed as fundamental flaws in the Supreme Court’s handling of the Gyakye Quayson case. He emphasized that the Supreme Court’s intervention effectively re-adjudicated a matter that had already been decided by the High Court, a departure from established legal principles.

- Advertisement -

Justice Atuguba asserted that the primary course of action should have been the execution of the High Court’s decision, rather than revisiting the matter at the Supreme Court.

“The decision of the Gyakye Quayson case was scandalous. The Supreme Court re-adjudicated the matter already decided by the High Court,“ he said.

Furthermore, Justice Atuguba pointed out the Supreme Court’s failure to deliver what he considered to be a just decision. He noted that the nullification of Mr Quayson’s election, despite his clear renunciation of Canadian citizenship in November 2020, was a matter of contention.

- Advertisement -

“The Supreme Court does not stand in a good light despite the clear renunciation in November 2020 whereas the election was in December, I am not able to see substantial justice in this,” he said.

Justice Atuguba expressed his reservations about the Supreme Court’s determination that Mr Quayson maintained allegiance to Canada when the renunciation process had been initiated in 2019. He argued that the timing and context of Mr Quayson’s renunciation should have been taken into account during the court’s deliberations and that the verdict did not align with the principles of substantial justice.

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Ashanti Cocoa farmers welcome new COCOBOD bill, back key reforms

Cocoa farmers in parts of the Ashanti Region have...

Major fault on Akosombo-Volta transmission line triggers nationwide power outage

The Ghana Grid Company Limited (GRIDCo) has announced a...

Powerful BDCs lobby NPA to build regional depots in bid to neutralize BOST Energies

Radiant Media and Intelligence Hub has gathered that a...

Europe-based reparations organisations honour Ghana’s presidential special envoy

Ghana’s Presidential Special Envoy for Reparations, Ambassador Ekwow Spio-Garbrah,...

Abronye DC sweeps Bono Regional NPP chairmanship race with 157-vote margin

Kwame Baffoe, popularly known as Abronye DC, has retained...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles