Organisers of #OccupyJulorbiHouse demo failed – Alhassan Tampuli

The government has criticized the organisers of the OccupyJulorbiHouse protests, labelling them a failure due to their inability to submit a petition outlining their concerns.

Speaking in an interview with Citi News, Alhassan Tampuli Sulemana, the Member of Parliament for Gushegu and Deputy Minister of Transport, revealed that he had been designated by the government to receive the petition from the Democracy Hub group.

- Advertisement -

However, he expressed disappointment that the group failed to present any concerns during the protest.

“It became very necessary for us to meet them. At some point, I was told for instance that all of them wanted to come. So we said okay we will move to where you are if you just want to present a petition. I will move under escort to wherever they were.

“That was when I was told that actually there was no petition. So it is like a right that has been exercised but the point hasn’t been drummed home. So the leadership actually failed.”

- Advertisement -

Hundreds of demonstrators gathered in Accra on Saturday for three days of anti-government protests linked to economic hardship that led to dozens of arrests on the first day.

Protesters, some waving placards of the Ghanaian flag, decried the high cost of living and a lack of jobs as they marched under the watch of riot police.

The gold-, oil- and cocoa-producing nation has been battling its worst economic crisis in a generation brought on by spiralling public debt.

The protest proceeded despite the police filing an injunction application on Wednesday, September 20, to prevent the Democracy Hub group from proceeding with their planned protest.

- Advertisement -

Despite the police’s orders, the group leaders insisted on proceeding with the protest. On Thursday, September 21, the police halted the group from gathering at Jubilee House, leading to the arrest of 49 members of Democracy Hub.

Undeterred, the group continued their protest on Friday and Saturday, but the police blocked their attempts to march to the Jubilee House.

Source: citinewsroom

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Sammy Gyamfi dismisses $1.7bn GoldBod loss claim as ‘barefaced lie’

The Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Gold Board...

Ho Assembly Destroys Expired Drinks, Food Products

The Ho Municipal Assembly has destroyed hundreds of cartons...

Europe-based reparations organisations honour Ghana’s presidential special envoy

Ghana’s Presidential Special Envoy for Reparations, Ambassador Ekwow Spio-Garbrah,...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles