Manchester City sign Matheus Nunes from Wolves for £53m

Manchester City have completed the signing of midfielder Matheus Nunes from Wolves for £53m.

The deal includes a 10% sell-on clause for Wolves from any profit City make on the 25-year-old in future.

- Advertisement -

The Portugal international, who has 11 caps for his country, has signed a five-year contract with City.

“I’m so happy to be joining Manchester City, the champions of Europe and a club I’ve admired for a long time,” said Nunes.

“The opportunity to work under [City manager] Pep Guardiola, one of the greatest managers ever, and alongside some of the best players in the world was something I simply couldn’t turn down.

- Advertisement -

“I learned so much during my season at Wolves and I’m excited to continue improving in the Premier League, a division which brings the best out of me. I’m really excited to get going, meet the fans and hopefully be a part of plenty more success at City.”

‘It wasn’t necessary the stance Matheus took’

City had a previous bid for Nunes rejected, with Wolves holding out for a fee closer to their asking price of over £60m.

Nunes had been absent from training for the Molineux club recently after making it clear he wanted to join Guardiola’s side.

- Advertisement -

“I was disappointed with how it ended, it wasn’t necessary the stance Matheus took, but we ended with a good resolution for everyone,” said Wolves sporting director Matt Hobbs.

“Matheus is a hugely talented player who would admit that last season he didn’t hit the heights he expected, but it was a tough season for the team, so maybe he wasn’t allowed to do that.”

Wolves signed Nunes on a five-year contract last summer, paying a club-record £38m to Sporting Lisbon.

He was a key figure during the second half of last season as Wolves successfully avoided relegation, finishing 13th in the table.

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Ghana to hold referendum on proposed constitutional amendments in 2027 – Mahama

President John Dramani Mahama has announced plans to hold...

Dr Cassiel Ato Forson: Finance Minister officially hands over Defence Ministry to Kenneth Gilbert Adjei

Finance Minister Dr Cassiel Ato Forson has formally handed...

Jason Arday: Former Cambridge professor at centre of plagiarism row and social media abuse found dead

Jason Arday, the former University of Cambridge professor, has...

‘GoldBod is a very big scandal awaiting us’ – Afenyo-Markin

Minority Leader Alexander Afenyo-Markin has warned that the operations...

Driver busted with cocaine at Accra International Airport

The Narcotics Control Commission (NACOC) has intercepted a significant...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles