Serial sex offender Amponsah Thompson jailed for 23 years for raping teenagers in Liverpool

A serial sex offender who used his Mercedes as a hunting vehicle to “prowl” the streets of Liverpool city centre for vulnerable teenage girls on nights out has been jailed for 23 years after being unmasked as a predatory impostor who posed as a taxi driver.

Amponsah Thompson, a 29-year-old with leave to remain in the United Kingdom, was sentenced at Liverpool Crown Court on Wednesday, after a harrowing catalogue of offences against three young women, two of them aged 18, between August 2024 and 2025.

- Advertisement -

The court heard that the Ghanaian national operated with chilling calculation, trawling the city’s nightlife districts in his white Mercedes, searching for lone, intoxicated teenagers before striking.

The first attack came in August 2024, when an 18-year-old woman left a night out shortly after 2:00 am after visiting popular bars including Heebie Jeebies and Lost in Seel Street.

Heavily drunk and separated from her friends, she approached Thompson’s car near the former Alma de Cuba venue, now St Peter’s Tavern, and asked if he was a taxi driver. Prosecutor David Polglase told the court that Thompson “lied and pretended that he was.”

- Advertisement -

Believing she was being taken home, the teenager climbed into the vehicle. Instead, he drove her to his own address on Rocky Lane in Tuebrook, where he joined her in the back seat and touched her between her thighs.

She escaped further violation only by pretending her family was phoning and that she had shared her location with them. Thompson stopped and drove her home. She later insisted on paying him, a fatal mistake for her attacker—bank transfers allowed police to trace him directly.

When interviewed, Thompson denied pretending to be a taxi driver, claiming he had only stopped at his home to collect identification. He insisted there had been no physical contact and that he had never entered the back seat. He was released on bail.

But he did not stop. In December 2024, while still under investigation, Thompson prowled again. He found another 18-year-old woman, described by the prosecution as “extremely drunk and vulnerable,” slumped by a wall in the city centre after a night that had taken her to a Wetherspoon pub, McCooley’s and Soho. Separated from her friends, she was seen being escorted back to his vehicle at around 3:30 am.

- Advertisement -

She later recalled “zoning in and out of sleep” and waking up at his flat, where she had been raped. Thompson drove her home the next day. He later claimed the sexual activity had been consensual, but a jury convicted him of one count of rape following a trial.

Throughout 2025, as detectives continued their work, Thompson preyed upon a third victim, raping her an estimated six or seven times. He also subjected her to violent assaults and threatened her with a knife.

Mr Polglase told the court: “We say that this defendant is manipulative. He is a sexual predator. He has little or no regard for the boundaries of and consent for sex.”

The court heard that while Thompson had no previous convictions, he had been investigated in January 2024 over an allegation that he sexually assaulted a lap dancer, though the woman later withdrew her complaint, and no charges were brought.

Defence barrister Anthony O’Donohoe urged the court to remember that his client was previously a man of good character with no criminal record, adding that his immigration status was “subject to review.” He asked for a sentence “as short as is consistent with your honour’s public duty.”

But Judge Brian Cummings KC was unmoved. Sentencing Thompson, who appeared via video link from HMP Liverpool wearing a white Puma t-shirt, the judge declared him a dangerous offender.

“There would remain a significant risk to members of the public of serious harm at the point that you would have otherwise served a fixed term sentence,” he said.

He added that deportation was a matter for the appropriate authority, making no order himself but leaving the door firmly open.

Thompson was jailed for 23 years, with an additional eight years on licence. He must serve two-thirds of the 23-year term before becoming eligible for release by the Parole Board, and he will sign the sex offenders’ register for life. He had admitted to sexual assault against his first victim and three counts of rape against the third.

Graphic Online

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Ho Teaching Hospital Appeals for Support for 500-Bed Expansion

The Governing Board of the Ho Teaching Hospital (HTH)...

Okoe-Boye secures landslide victory in Greater Accra NPP chairmanship race

Former Ledzokuku MP, Dr Bernard Okoe-Boye, has secured a...

NPP regional polls: Sorting, counting underway after largely peaceful voting

Sorting and counting of ballots are underway across several...

At least 11 dead, 13 injured in multiple-vehicle crash on Ofankor-Pokuase stretch

At least 11 people have been killed and 13...

Work resumes on 118km Bolgatanga-Bawku-Pulmakom road as govt assures prompt payments

President John Dramani Mahama has commended Brazilian construction firm...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles