US Supreme Court allows Trump to resume deportations to third countries

The US Supreme Court has cleared the way for President Donald Trump’s administration to resume deportations of migrants to countries other than their homeland.

By 6-3, the justices reversed a lower court order requiring the government to give migrants a “meaningful opportunity” to tell officials what risks they might face being deported to a third country.

- Advertisement -

The court’s three liberal justices dissented from the majority ruling, saying it was “rewarding lawlessness”.

The case involves eight migrants from Myanmar, South Sudan, Cuba, Mexico, Laos and Vietnam, who were deported in May on a plane said to be heading for South Sudan. The Trump administration said they were “the worst of the worst”.

Boston-based US District Judge Brian Murphy ruled that the removals had violated an order he issued in April allowing migrants to argue they could be tortured or killed if they were removed to third countries.

- Advertisement -

Justices Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan and Ketanji Brown Jackson criticised the majority’s unsigned decision on Monday, calling it a “gross abuse”.

“Apparently, the court finds the idea that thousands will suffer violence in far-flung locales more palatable than the remote possibility that a district court exceeded its remedial powers when it ordered the government to provide notice and process to which the plaintiffs are constitutionally and statutorily entitled,” Sotomayor wrote.

“That use of discretion is as incomprehensible as it is inexcusable.”

The Trump administration said the eight migrants had committed “heinous crimes” in the US, including murder, arson and armed robbery.

- Advertisement -

But the migrants’ lawyers said in a filing to the Supreme Court that many of the detainees had no criminal convictions.

Trump brought the case to the justices after a Boston-based appeals court last month declined to block the lower court ruling.

The intervention by Judge Murphy, a Biden appointee, prompted the US government to keep the migrants in the Horn of Africa nation of Djibouti, where an American military base is located.

US Solicitor General John Sauer told the Supreme Court that immigration agents had “been forced to establish a makeshift detention facility for dangerous criminals” in a converted conference room.

Monday’s decision is another victory for the Republican president in his pursuit of mass deportations.

Last month, the Supreme Court allowed Trump to end Temporary Protected Status for Venezuelan nationals, affecting about 350,000 migrants.

The justices also said the president could temporarily pause a humanitarian programme that has allowed nearly half a million migrants from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua and Venezuela to stay in the US for two years.

BBC

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continuedĀ support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

NPP polls: Full list of newly elected NPP regional chairmen

Delegates of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) have elected...

Ghana Water Limited rejects claims Presidency directed it to withhold river turbidity data

The Ghana Water Limited (GWL) has rejected claims that...

Work resumes on 118km Bolgatanga-Bawku-Pulmakom road as govt assures prompt payments

President John Dramani Mahama has commended Brazilian construction firm...

Accra to experience 15-hour power outage in some areas on Sunday as GRIDCo repairs damaged pylon

Some parts of the Greater Accra Region will experience...

ā€˜GoldBod is a very big scandal awaiting us’ – Afenyo-Markin

Minority Leader Alexander Afenyo-Markin has warned that the operations...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles