DR Congo conflict displaces more than 100,000 people in a week

Recent fighting in part of eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has displaced more than 100,000 people over the last week, the United Nations humanitarian affairs office said Tuesday.

M23 rebels on Saturday seized control of Masisi, a key town in the mineral-rich DRC.

- Advertisement -

“Between 1 and 3 January 2025, intense clashes between the Congolese army and a non-state armed group in Masisi Centre, North Kivu province, displaced an estimated 102,000 people, according to local reports,” the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said.

Rwanda’s foreign ministry said that the areas taken by M23 forces in recent days had been in the hands of Hutu militias linked to the 1994 mass killings of Tutsis in Rwanda.

“Many parts of Masisi territory are/were in the hands of the genocidal FDLR, which is a foreign force that is occupying a Congolese territory,” Foreign Minister Olivier Nduhungirehe said in the statement.

- Advertisement -

He also denounced international criticism that had not condemned “the continued violation of the integrity of Congolese land belonging to Congolese communities, including Tutsi Congolese.”

Masisi, with a population of around 40,000 people, is about 80 kilometres north of North Kivu’s provincial capital, Goma.

Relative calm returned to Masisi by January 5, prompting some displaced families to begin returning, OCHA said.

“Humanitarian actors warn the influx of displaced people may worsen Masisi’s dire situation, with over 600,000 displaced as of 30 November 2024,” the UN body added.

- Advertisement -

Between Friday and Monday, Doctors Without Borders, or MSF, and health ministry teams treated 75 people at two hospitals in the area, MSF said in a statement Tuesday.

“In addition to providing this care, these two health facilities also sheltered hundreds of civilians for several days, who sought refuge there to benefit from increased protection,” said Stephane Goetghebuer, head of mission in charge of the medical charity’s projects in North Kivu.

The March 23 Movement (M23), a militia that the DRC and U.N. say is being supported by neighbouring Rwanda and its army, has seized vast swaths of the east of the DRC since 2021, displacing thousands and triggering a humanitarian crisis.

Rwanda’s statement blamed the ongoing fighting on “the marginalization of the Congolese Tutsi, victims of hate speech, discrimination and persecution.”

Angola-mediated talks between DRC President Felix Tshisekedi and his Rwandan counterpart Paul Kagame were abruptly cancelled in mid-December over disagreements on the terms of a proposed peace deal.

For 30 years, eastern DRC has been ravaged by fighting between local and foreign armed groups, dating back to the regional wars of the 1990s.

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Nana Yirenkyi I dismisses reports of Sammi Awuku’s arrest by EOCO

The Mampong Akuapem Apesemakahene, Nana Yirenkyi I, has dismissed...

Former MASLOC CEO Sedina Tamakloe finally released from prison

Former CEO of the Microfinance and Small Loans Centre...

Dr Cassiel Ato Forson: Finance Minister officially hands over Defence Ministry to Kenneth Gilbert Adjei

Finance Minister Dr Cassiel Ato Forson has formally handed...

Ghana to hold referendum on proposed constitutional amendments in 2027 – Mahama

President John Dramani Mahama has announced plans to hold...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles