Former Spanish FA chief Luis Rubiales handed 3-year ban by FIFA

Former Spanish Football Association president Luis Rubiales has been banned from all football-related activities for three years.

Rubiales kissed forward Jenni Hermoso on the lips following Spain’s Women’s World Cup final win over England.

- Advertisement -

He was provisionally banned by Fifa but initially refused to resign, before eventually stepping down in September.

On Monday, Fifa announced the three-year ban for breaching Article 13 of its disciplinary code.

Rubiales, 46, claimed the kiss at the post-match presentation ceremony was “mutual” and “consensual” but Hermoso said it was not consensual, and filed a legal complaint.

- Advertisement -

The incident overshadowed Spain’s historic victory in Sydney, Australia.

World governing body Fifa confirmed the case concerned the “events that occurred during the final of the Fifa Women’s World Cup on 20 August 2023, for which Mr Rubiales had been provisionally suspended for an initial period of 90 days”.

It added: “In accordance with the relevant provisions of the Fifa disciplinary code, he has 10 days in which to request a motivated decision, which, if requested, would subsequently be published on legal.fifa.com. The decision remains subject to a possible appeal before the Fifa appeal committee.

“Fifa reiterates its absolute commitment to respecting and protecting the integrity of all people and ensuring that the basic rules of decent conduct are upheld.”

- Advertisement -

Last month, a hearing at the national court in Madrid considered a criminal complaint of sexual assault and coercion against Rubiales, who was subsequently banned from going within 200m of Hermoso.

More to follow…

Source: BBC

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Speaker Bagbin recalls MPs for five-day urgent parliamentary business

Speaker of Parliament Rt Hon Alban Sumana Kingsford Bagbin...

Driver busted with cocaine at Accra International Airport

The Narcotics Control Commission (NACOC) has intercepted a significant...

Abronye DC sweeps Bono Regional NPP chairmanship race with 157-vote margin

Kwame Baffoe, popularly known as Abronye DC, has retained...

Work resumes on 118km Bolgatanga-Bawku-Pulmakom road as govt assures prompt payments

President John Dramani Mahama has commended Brazilian construction firm...

“Your bail conditions will be scary” – Afenyo-Markin warns Sammy Gyamfi, GoldBod executives

The Minority Leader, Osahen Alexander Kwamena Afenyo-Markin, has warned...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles