Fisherman missing for two weeks found in raft and ate salmon to survive

A fisherman who had been missing for nearly two weeks has been found alive floating in a life raft about 70 miles (110km) off the west coast of the US.

Good Samaritans found the fisherman on Thursday, the US Coast Guard Pacific Northwest said in a statement one day after they had suspended their search.

- Advertisement -

The Canadian rescuers who found him say he caught and ate a salmon to survive.

The man, who was not identified, had left Gray Harbor in Washington state on 12 October on Evening, a 43-foot ship.

Officials did not name the rescuers or how they found him, but King-TV in Seattle identified them as Ryan Planes and his uncle John from Sooke, a town on Vancouver Island in British Columbia.

- Advertisement -

“I saw what looked like a life raft in the distance and ran inside and put the binoculars on him and then he shot off a flare,” Ryan told the network.

“We pulled him on board. He gave me a big hug and it was emotional,” John continued.

He added that the man told him had been alone on the raft for 13 days, and that he caught a salmon after running out of food.

“We made him breakfast. He drank three bottles of water,” he continued. “He was pretty hungry, poor guy.”

- Advertisement -

The man appears to be in stable condition, officials say and was transported back to shore by the Canadian Coast Guard and another Canadian rescue agency.

Officials shared an image of the missing ship, a 43-foot fishing boat called EveningImage source, US Coast Guard
Image caption,

Officials shared an image of the missing ship, a 43-foot fishing boat called Evening

According to King-TV, the man was taken to a hospital in Tofino, British Columbia, for further treatment.

The man and another sailor on board the Evening were meant to return on 15 October, officials say.

On Wednesday, the Coast Guard said it was suspending their search pending the development of new information.

The decision was made after crews searched more than 14,000 sq miles for over eight hours.

Another sailor who departed with him has not been found, and the Coast Guard says the incident “remains under investigation”.

It is unclear whether they plan to resume the search.

Source: BBC

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Accra to experience 15-hour power outage in some areas on Sunday as GRIDCo repairs damaged pylon

Some parts of the Greater Accra Region will experience...

COKA crushes Kokofu to win NPP Ashanti Regional chairmanship

Odeneho Kwaku Appiah, popularly known as COKA, has won...

Two security men of Bolga Girls SHS arrested over alleged defilement of special needs student

The Upper East Regional Police Command has arrested two...

Sammy Gyamfi dismisses $1.7bn GoldBod loss claim as ‘barefaced lie’

The Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Gold Board...

Russia-Ukraine war: 62 Ghanaians killed, 15 missing – Ablakwa

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, has revealed...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles