Niger coup: Macron says France to withdraw troops and ambassador

President Emmanuel Macron has said France will withdraw its ambassador and end all military cooperation with Niger following a coup.

“France has decided to withdraw its ambassador. In the next hours our ambassador and several diplomats will return to France,” Mr Macron said.

- Advertisement -

He added that military cooperation was “over” and French troops would leave in “the months to come”.

The military junta which seized power in Niger in July welcomed the move.

“This Sunday we celebrate a new step towards the sovereignty of Niger,” the junta said, in a statement quoted by AFP news agency.

- Advertisement -

There are about 1,500 French soldiers in the landlocked West African country.

The decision by Paris follows months of animosity and protests against the French presence in the country, with regular demonstrations in the capital Niamey.

The move deals a hammer blow to France’s operations against Islamist militants in the wider Sahel region and Paris’ influence there. But Mr Macron said France would “not be held hostage by the putschists,” speaking to France’s TF1 and France 2 television stations.

Mr Macron said he still regarded ousted Niger President Mohamed Bazoum, currently held prisoner by the coup leaders, as the country’s “sole legitimate authority” and had informed him of his decision. He described the deposed president as a “hostage”.

- Advertisement -

“He was targeted by this coup d’etat because he was carrying out courageous reforms and because there was a largely ethnic settling of scores and a lot of political cowardice,” he said.

Niger is one of several former French colonies in West and Central Africa where the military has recently seized control – it follows Burkina Faso, Guinea, Mali and Chad. The latest coup was in Gabon in August.

Anti-French vitriol has flourished in the region in recent years, with many local politicians accusing Paris of carrying out neocolonialist policies – a charge denied by France.

There have also been concerns in the West over the growing role in the Sahel of Russia’s Wagner mercenary group. It is accused of human rights abuses and has been helping some new military regimes.

The regional Economic Community of West African States (Ecowas), supported by France, has threatened military intervention in Niger to reinstate Mr Bazoum. But so far it has not acted.

Map showing Sahel region of Africa

Niger’s military leaders told French ambassador Sylvain Itte he had to leave the country after they overthrew Mr Bazoum on 26 July.

However, a 48-hour ultimatum for him to leave, issued in August, passed with him still in place as the French government refused to comply, or to recognise the military regime as legitimate.

Mr Macron’s statement also comes hours after Niger’s coup leaders banned “French aircraft” from flying over the country.

The regional air safety organisation, ASECNA, said Niger’s airspace was “open to all national and international commercial flights except for French aircraft or aircraft chartered by France including those of the airline Air France”.

The airspace would remain closed for “all military, operational and other special flights”, unless receiving prior authorisation, the message said.

Air France told AFP simply that it was “not flying over Niger airspace”.

Source: BBC

- Advertisement -
Thank you for reading from the team at NewsAlertGH, your reliable news source in Ghana. We invite you to share this story across your social media platforms and stay engaged with us on Facebook https://web.facebook.com/people/News-Alert-Gh/61552476518106/, Twitter https://x.com/newsalertgh, and Instagram. For feedback and enquiries, kindly contact us on ‪+233 (0) 546337300‬ or via mail at newsalertgh1@gmail.com. We appreciate your continued support.

FOLLOW US VIA FACEBOOK AND X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

HOT THIS WEEK

Your day of reckoning is coming — Afenyo-Markin warns GoldBod CEO Sammy Gyamfi

Minority Leader Osahen Alexander Afenyo-Markin has warned Ghana Gold...

“Your bail conditions will be scary” – Afenyo-Markin warns Sammy Gyamfi, GoldBod executives

The Minority Leader, Osahen Alexander Kwamena Afenyo-Markin, has warned...

Dr Cassiel Ato Forson: Finance Minister officially hands over Defence Ministry to Kenneth Gilbert Adjei

Finance Minister Dr Cassiel Ato Forson has formally handed...

President Mahama inaugurates Paga SHS E-Block; pledges to complete stalled projects

President John Dramani Mahama has inaugurated the abandoned E-Block...

TOPICS

Achimota School Marks Its 97th Anniversary in Grand Style

Achimota School has celebrated its 97th anniversary in grand...

Saboba N/R: Physically-challenged teacher dies over frozen salary

The immediate family of a basic education teacher in...

EC begins processes to create 25 new constituencies

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun processes to...

BREAKING: John Kumah, Deputy Minister for Finance reported dead

The Deputy Minister of Finance, John Ampontuah Kumah has...

Kate, Princess of Wales: I am having cancer treatment

The Princess of Wales says she is in the...

Pilot, Brother Killed in Tema Aircraft Crash Were Sons of Hebron Prayer Camp Founder

The two victims of Monday’s fatal microlight aircraft crash...

Related Articles